November 09, 2009

Legend of Zelda in D&D 4E

Another of my crazy ideas for future D&D campaigns is ripping off the Zelda: A Link to the Past. It's one of my favorite games from the SNES era, and it might translate well enough to D&D. Link needs to go away and be replaced by the party, but that's easy enough. The question is whether to make them a party with the Hero of Courage (Link in the canon) among them, add in the Hero of Wisdom (canonically Zelda) or just say that the Triforce of Courage actually picked five guys when Link was AWOL.

Either way, the party is somehow pulled into a quest to gather a bunch of plot coupons in order to beat Ganon and save Hyrule. Or something, it's not like I've planned the whole thing already.

Some elements have to be translated from the SNES game, of course:


So far so good, but the most important part is... 16-bit battlemats! Oh yes.
  • Jaywalt has a great guide to editing such maps.
  • The Video Game Atlas is a great place to get the maps themselves. You could probably do worse than scrolling down to Chrono Trigger and grabbing those maps while you're at it. Similar style.
  • The Spriters Resource has all the monster sprites for you.
  • Zeldapedia should cover most other stuff, particularly the lore. Helps me, since I haven't played any of the games after Link's Awakening, and only Link to the Past extensively.
  • There's also Wikia Gaming if the former wiki doesn't cover something.


There you go. Partly a note to self, I hope it helps someone.

4 comments:

Anand said...

Awesome post. I'll definitely put some of those nostalgic maps against my players. Nice tip!

Mike said...

I also want to run some Zelda D&D in 4th edition; it's why I created all this homebrew stuff for it. (I like because you might find it interesting, though I will note that it is largely untested due to my own time constraints.)

However, one thing I really want to find is a resource for those stock video game puzzles, especially block puzzles. Just a webpage or a book that I can grab an appropriately large or difficult puzzle out of and run with it - or maybe add different kinds of blocks too, like Vagrant Story's variations. Have you found anything like that?

Anders Hällzon said...

Mike: Afraid not. The TvTropes links list categories, but not stock puzzles.

DoriSai said...

I'm just trying to make a Link copy character for a 4e campaign I'm joining (mostly to troll people, complete with grunts/yells for all in character speech and writing everything down to communicate and having an app on my phone to spam Navi). I heard there was a full on progression chart done for him already, anyone know where I can find it? I've found a few things but it's mostly Link as a certain level character. He'd be a PC, and I've already spoken to my DM and multiple players about it, opinion is about split between "that would be hilarious" and "he won't survive longer than an hour" (mostly because they thought the DM would kill him fast, but he wants to see it too now lol).